Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Beach Morning




Sophie likes to go to the beach
I can tell she is happy by the way she wags her tail
She is better in some ways than a child, since she will never grow up and move away

I feel lonely standing on the shore, just feet seperating me from the emptiness of the ocean
I swim out far and then farther out, sometimes wondering if I have the strength to return
The lifegaurd blows his wistle at me, but I pretend not to hear him

We take drinks with us, Rum and soda, beer; its not allowed, you know, but I don't care
Nothing like a good beer buzz to put you in the mood
Just have to be discreet, of course

Margo says the surf talks to her
Endless chatter like baby talk that means whatever you want it to
I think maybe she is right, I just never listened before

She's kinda of appealing being out of her element
Don't often see her quite so relaxed
Times like this make me realize how special she is
She thinks I take her for granted, but I think she is wrong




Jose lights up a hibatchi in the gazebo by the parking lot
The smell of lighter fluid and charcoal conjurs up so many memories
It was so much fun as a kid to go on a picnic

There's always kids at the beach, and they are always happy
Sand and water, what better combination could there be for a child?
They build sand castles with their toy shovels and plastic pails
Its almost enough to bring a nastalgic tear to the eye of an old man

Margo and Sophie are asleep now
They surrendered to the gentle cool breeze and the slap of the surf
I am too busy people watching to give in to my urge to slumber
I wonder what a middle-aged woman was thinking by getting a tattoo
And I wonder what it says about me when I find it mildly appealing?

A couple of kids glide gracefully down the beach on a bicycle
I wonder if it is possible to ride along the shore all the way to Miami
I can think of no good reason why not
Perhaps another nominee for entry into my bucket list






The combination of beer and rum is starting to take full effect now
What better venue could there be for transforming into an altered state of mind
Nothing extreme, of course, just enough mellow to trim the edge

I start to fixate on the horizontal line that seperates the water from the sky
How can anything in nature be so perfectly geometric?
I see a freighter slowly sink into oblivion on the horizon
How can anything be so far away?
How can waves crash to shore endlessly, never stopping for more than an instant, ever?

I hear a  woman speaking spanish on a cell phone, one umbrella down from us
A dirty faced boy scuries around under her feet
She has bushy hair, blown out like a lyon's mane, and a tramp stamp on her butt
I hope she can't discern my stare, hidden behind dark sun glasses

She has all kinds of things hanging out from her bathing suit
She walks in circles, gesturing with her hands, occasionally glancing over at me
She lights up a cigarette and strikes a pose
She is hispanic trailer trash to some, but not to me

The sandman commeth
I force the folding chair all the way back and peer up at the umbrella fabric
Eyes closed, I listen to the muffled sounds of children playing
The sound of the surf gently caressing the shore is intoxicating
I pull the hat all the way down over my eyes, and finally Crash........





No comments: