Thursday, November 10, 2016

The Trump Protests

I have a part-time job. I write technical articles for a marketing company. It's not something I necessarily have to do, but I make a few extra bucks doing it and I like to be productive.

I get up at five O'clock in the morning to write my articles, because the rest of the day I am busy with running a company and helping my wife look after my grandkids. You see, even though my daughter and son-in-law are professionals and earn a good living, they choose to work, so my wife watches their kids a few days a week.

I was watching the Trump protests on TV last night. I had to go to bed at 10:00 so I could get up early to write my articles. So, it occurred to me that the protesters must not have to get up early if they are out so late at night.

I saw a reported from CNN interview three of the protesters. All of them seem to have trouble gathering their thoughts, which made me wonder if they really knew why they were there. The first interviewee mentioned that he was there because his family was illegal and he was afraid Trump would deport them. The second protester said he thought Trump had rigged the election and was therefore illegitimate.  The third protester was there because he wanted all Americans to unite and to stop being so divisive.

It seemed to me that none of them had a legitimate argument to justify their protest. How can you argue that your family is here illegally but they should be allowed to stay? To do so would be to promote lawlessness. There is no evidence that Trump rigged the election, so that argument seems pretty lame. If you want unity, then why are you joining a protest movement that disrupts traffic and destroys property?

I voted for Trump and believe he won the election on the backs of people like myself. People that don't have time to protest because we are busy working to support our families. I saw a fellow "deplorable" like myself on TV the other night who said that he works a ten hour plus day.

He mentioned that his neighbors are home when he leaves for work and they are home when he returns. His point was that he is working hard and paying more than his fair share of taxes. His view is that people like the protesters don't have to get up early to go to work so his tax dollars are going to help support them, and that seems unfair.

The truth of the matter is, the protesters would not have a country they could protest in if it were not for the hard working people of our country that pay in the tax dollars that support our government and make it possible for people to sleep in because they don't have anything better to do with their lives. If the protesters really wanted to be part of the solution as opposed to being part of the problem, they would get a part time job and go to bed early so they could get up at five in the morning because they want to be more productive.














No comments: